Sunday, September 11, 2011

6 month-ish update

Well, here's what has been going on in Chile in the last month or so...click on the links!

With me personally- I've been here for about 6 1/2 months now....still enjoying loving Chile and enjoying teaching. I recently got a second job (thanks to a friend!) teaching English to business people....we go straight to their offices or in few cases to their homes. It's a different world because these students actually want to learn and work hard at it.
Also, lately I've been frustrated with the language. You see, Chilean Spanish is a whole other language it seems. Chileans speak with a lot of modismos (idioms) and not all of the letters or sounds are pronounced well either. When I'm with a group of Chileans, I still can't understand all of what they're saying. I can understand the topic they're talking about....but still not enough to laugh when they laugh. It's frustrating because I've lived here for more than 6 months now....and I studied Spanish in school for many years. I feel like I'm at a plateau....I just gotta get over this hump somehow.

As far as Chile as a whole....a lot has been happening. 

The students have been on strike for the last 4 months because they want education to be free and of better quality. Many schools are out of session due to the strikes, and there have been many protests and marches lately. Some of the marches have gotten out of hand.....fires, tear gas, people being arrested. Here are some pictures that show some of it...Pictures
There is a student group that is working with the government to agree upon something that both parties like....so far, nothing has been agreed upon. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen soon. 
My opinion- free quality higher education isn't possible....though many Chileans think the opposite...

On August 24th and 25th, there was a Paro Nacional- National Strike. Transportation for some was impossible, many stores and businesses were closed, barely any students came to class those days, classes were cancelled at night. Here's an article that explains a little bit. National Strike
Here are some pictures from outside my window on the first day of the strike.  

group of people stopping traffic...near my apartment building

fire near my apartment building

Last Friday, a national tragedy occurred. A plane that was headed to Juan Fernandez (an island off the coast of Chile) crashed and all 21 people aboard were killed. Some were members of the air force and others were members of a television stadium. Included in the lives lost was Felipe Camiroaga, an important figure to all Chileans. He was the host of a morning show called Buenos Dias a Todos (Good Morning to All), but also a generous, giving man. Read more about him here.
So far, more than half of the bodies and remains have been identified. They don't know the cause of the crash yet.

to show where the island is (p.s. Rapa Nui is Easter Island)


Today, September 11th, is an important day in our history, but also the history of Chile. On September 11, 1973, President Salvador Allende's government was overthrown in the coup d'etat led by General Augusto Pinochet, who took over power. That day started the military dictatorship that lasted until 1989/90. Many people died that day, as well as throughout the dictatorship. If you don't know much about Chile's military and September 11, read this and this.

In happier news, the seasons are changing and the weather is getting nicer here. We changed our clocks forward already (so now I'm an hour ahead of EST), so the days are longer. Spring is coming! I'm looking forward to nice weather and starting my tan. Also, all the Chileans are excited for el dieciocho (the 18th of September)- Chilean's independence day (also known as fiestas patrias). There will be a lot of food, dancing, parties, etc. I'm looking forward to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment